Protecting yourself and your child when using mobiles
- We know how important it is to keep children safe whilst they use their phone. We've put together a handy guide to help you manage the risks to your children including cyber bullying.
What is adult content filtering?
- Adult content filtering prevents unmoderated and 18 rated content from being accessed by minors on their devices. It's not illegal, it's just considered unsuitable for under 18s.
- Filtered adult content includes gambling, dating, images of a sexual nature and adult only content
- Unmoderated content includes social networking sites, user generated content (content that's been created by individuals rather than companies, for example blogs), chat rooms
- Find out about your network's policy on blocking access to adult content.
I'm concerned that my child can access inappropriate content on their BlackBerry smartphone
- BlackBerry currently blocks all content considered potentially criminal by the Internet Watch Foundation.
- However, adult content filtering for BlackBerrys is currently only available on the T-Mobile network. It will be available on all UK networks later this year.
There are a few things you can do to stay safe whilst using your smartphone too
- Purchase insurance cover with your phone. Our expert service partner, Team Knowhow offer quality cover from £4.99
- Write down your IMEI number and keep it in a safe place - this is important if your phone gets lost or stolen.
- Don't connect to unknown Wi-Fi networks, they're open to everyone, so anyone can intercept the data you send, including bank details and emails.
- Never reply to spam texts. These are texts you haven't signed up to, often asking you to submit personal details.
- Protect your phone with a secure password or lock pattern.
- Visit this page for tips on how to stay safe whilst shopping online.